Everyday’s an endless stream of stupid tweets and thoughts obscene
Now that baby-brat has stretched his temper tantrum terror into the longest government shutdown ever, we find with each new day the effects it is having on people who are supposed to get through it by simply making adjustments. Tell that to:
- Veterans already on the edge with PTSD having to worry about supporting their families
- Native Americans on reservations totally dependent on government support
- All federal workers and contractors who live paycheck to paycheck
- Many more which will be listed below this post in comments
While too many uninformed Americans think a government shut down is a good thing because it is saving money, nothing could be further from the truth. Shutdowns impact the Treasury in three ways:
- Employees eventually (already in this case) will get back pay for time not worked.
- Loss in revenue from collecting permits and fees
- Economic disruption on the economy as a whole
Although this shutdown is smaller in scope than the 2013 shutdown, its impact will be greater because the economy and government are bigger today. Already estimates have the cost to be over 6 billion dollars, or more than his stupid unplanned and ever-changing wall.
In the end, it’s not about money, it’s about a despot wannabe trying to save face over a campaign slogan he misused about immigration. “The wall” was supposed to be a metaphor for trying to stop illegal immigration but that was too much nuance for a fool who equates the invention of the wheel and the wall and doesn’t even get the history right.
Nancy Pelosi knows she can’t cave to his demand claiming it’s a national emergency and is right to do so, but selfishly part of me wishes she could. Why? Because it could set a precedent for the next Democratic President who could do the same for climate change and sensible gun regulations. It’s a nice thought, but we do not want to go down that road.
Remember the Three Dog Night song “One Is The Loneliest Number“? I’m willing to bet that after Michael Cohen appears before Congress, Individual 1 is going to be a lot lonelier than he was on Christmas Eve.
Happy belated New Year everyone!